Director, Network Communications and Economics Labs (NCEL)
Director, Master of Science Program
Department of Information Engineering, Faculty of Engineering
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
IEEE Communications Society Distinguished Lecturer
Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researcher in Computer Science
Editor, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking
Editor, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing
Editor, IEEE Transactions on Network Science and Engineering
Editor, IEEE Transactions on Cognitive Communications and Networking
Chair, IEEE Communications Society Technical Committee on Cognitive Networks (TCCN)
Email: jwhuang [at] ie dot cuhk dot edu dot hk
Office: Ho Sin-Hang Engineering Building Room 718, CUHK (Directions)
My Profiles: Google Scholar, ResearcherID, DBLP, LinkedIn, Twitter
NCEL WeChat Public Account: ncel_cuhk (QR code)
- Students interested in pursuing a PhD degree in our group can take a look at our overview slides, representative publications, WeChat public account, and admission requirement.
- NCEL members won Best Paper Awards from IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, WiOpt, SmartGridComm, GLOBECOM, WiCon, and APCC.
- NCEL research on TV white space economics received press release from CUHK (here and here) and news agencies (such as Wenweipo, Oriental Daily, Phonix, Sohu, Sina, China Daily, ComputerWorld, and Sing Tao Daily).
- NCEL research on Wi-Fi Economics received press release from CUHK and news agencies (such as Apple Daily, Computer World, Sing Tao Daily, Ta Kung Pao, Telecom Asia, Wen Wei Po, and Xinhua News Agency).
- NCEL alumni became faculty members in leading Asian universities, including Harbin Institute of Technology (Shenzhen), ShanghaiTech University, Singapore University of Technology and Design, South China University of Technology, Sun Yat-Sen University, Tsinghua University, and University of Macau.
- We provide the Hong Kong solar and wind energy generation data to the research community.
- My books (click images for details). If you are interested in teaching (or learning) network economics following the book of "Wireless Network Pricing", you can find related slides, papers, tutorials, and course materials here.
- My half-day tutorials (click images for details). The tutorial on "How Do We Play Games" has been translated into Chinese by NetEase Open Course.
- Professor, Department of Information Engineering, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2017 -
- Associate Professor, Department of Information Engineering, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2013 - 2017
- Assistant Professor, Department of Information Engineering, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2007 - 2013
- Postdoc Research Associate, Department of Electrical Engineering, Princeton University, 2005 - 2007
- Ph.D., Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Northwestern University, 2005
- Master, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Northwestern University, 2003
- Bachelor, Department of Radio Engineering, Southeast University, 2000
- IEEE Fellow, 2016
- Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researcher in Computer Science, 2016 & 2017
- IEEE Communications Society Distinguished Lecturer, 2015-2018
- Shanghai Thousand Talents Expert Award (Short-Term), 2015 – 2018
- CUHK Young Researcher Award, 2014
- IEEE Marconi Prize Paper Award in Wireless Communications, 2011
- IEEE Communications Society Young Professional Best Paper Award (as the advisor), 2017
- IEEE INFOCOM Best Paper Award Finalist, 2016
- IEEE WiOpt Best Student Paper Award (as the advisor), 2015
- IEEE WiOPT Best Paper Award, 2014 (CUHK Press Release in Engish and Chinese)
- IEEE WiOPT Best Paper Award, 2013 (coverage in the IEEE Communications Technology News)
- IEEE SmartGridComm Best Paper Award, 2012
- Wireless Internet Conference Best Paper Award, 2011
- IEEE GLOBECOM Best Paper Award, 2010
- Asia-Pacific Conference on Communication Best Paper Award, 2009
- IEEE ComSoc Asia-Pacific Outstanding Young Researcher Award, 2009
- Best Readings of Economics of Cognitive Radio Networks
- [New] Serve as the General Co-Chair of WiOpt 2018 in Shanghai. The best papers from WiOpt 2018 will be recommended for fast track reviews in IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking. Please submit your papers to the main conference, workshops, and tutorials!
- [New] Selected again as a Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researcher in Computer Science in 2017.
- [New] Our GLOBECOM'17 paper "Optimal Privacy-Preserving Data Collection: A Prospect Theory Perspective" received the 2017 IEEE Communications Society Young Professional Best Paper Award. Congratulations to Guocheng and Xu!
- [New] Deliver a plenary talk on "Achieving an Efficient and Fair Equilibrium Through Taxation" (joint work with Lin Gao) in Asia Pacific Conference on Communications (APCC) 2017 in Perth in December.
- [New] Deliver a keynote talk on "Renewable Energy Investment and Operation in Microgrids" (joint work with Hao Wang) in IEEE SmartGridComm 2017 in Dresden in October.
- Deliver a keynote talk on "Economic Thinking of Communication Networks" in the Workshop of Communications, Computation, and Caching organized by China Institute of Communications in Chongqing in September.
- Serve as the Series Editor of Wiley Information and Communication Technology Series from August.
- Deliver five IEEE ComSoc Distinguished Lectures in Atlanta, Seattle, Dublin, and Paris in May.
- NCEL research on Wi-Fi Economics receives media coverage.
- Serve as an Editor of IEEE Transactions on Network Science and Engineering.
- Sever as an Area Editor for Springer Encyclopedia of Wireless Networks - Area on Network Economics and pricing.
- Serve as an Area TPC Chair of IEEE INFOCOM 2018 in Honolulu.
- Elected again as IEEE Communications Society Distinguished Lecturer during 2017-2018.
- Give a half-day tutorial on "Economics of Database-Assisted Spectrum Sharing" with Lin and Yuan in DySPAN 2017.
- Give a half-day tutorial on "Fog Computing and Networking: A New Paradigm for 5G and IoT Applications" with Tao, Tony, Ai-Chun, and Yang in IEEE ICC 2017.
Alumni News (Complete Alumni Information)