- NCEL is a world-leading research group on the economic and game theoretical analysis and design of modern networking systems (overview slides). We always welcome motivated young people to apply for PhD and Postdoc Researcher positions.
- NCEL members won Best Paper Awards from IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, WiOpt, SmartGridComm, GLOBECOM, WiCon, and APCC.
- NCEL research on TV white space economics received press release from CUHK (here and here) and several news agencies (such as Wenweipo, Oriental Daily, Phonix, Sohu, Sina, China Daily, ComputerWorld, Sing Tao Daily).
- Seven NCEL alumni became faculty members in leading Asian universities, including Harbin Institute of Technology (Shenzhen), ShanghaiTech University, Singapore University of Technology and Design, South China University of Technology, Sun Yat-Sen University, Tsinghua University, and University of Macau.
- We provide the Hong Kong solar and wind energy generation data to the research community.
- My books (click images for details).
- My half-day tutorials (click images for details). The tutorial on "How Do We Play Games" has been translated into Chinese by NetEase Open Course.
Education and Experiences
- Associate Professor, Department of Information Engineering, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2013 - now
- Assistant Professor, Department of Information Engineering, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2007 - 2013
- Postdoc Research Associate, Department of Electrical Engineering, Princeton University, 2005-2007
- M.S. and Ph.D., Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Northwestern University, 2001-2005
- Bachelor, Department of Radio Engineering, Southeast University, 1996-2000
Research Awards (Google Scholar Profile, ResearcherID Profile)
- Shanghai Thousand Talents Expert Award (Short-Term), 2015 – 2018
- CUHK Young Researcher Award, 2014
- IEEE Marconi Prize Paper Award in Wireless Communications, 2011
- IEEE INFOCOM Best Paper Award Finalist, 2016
- IEEE WiOpt Best Student Paper Award, 2015
- IEEE WiOPT Best Paper Award, 2014 (CUHK Press Release in Engish and Chinese)
- IEEE WiOPT Best Paper Award, 2013 (coverage in the IEEE Communications Technology News)
- IEEE SmartGridComm Best Paper Award, 2012
- Wireless Internet Conference Best Paper Award, 2011
- IEEE GLOBECOM Best Paper Award, 2010
- Asia-Pacific Conference on Communication Best Paper Award, 2009
- IEEE ComSoc Asia-Pacific Outstanding Young Researcher Award, 2009
- Best Readings of Economics of Cognitive Radio Networks
- Six ESI Highly Cited Papers
- (New) Huang is selected as a Thomson Reuters Highly Cited Researcher (HCR) in Computer Science in 2016. There are 127 HCRs in Computer Science worldwide in 2016, including three from Hong Kong.
- (New) Huang is elected to IEEE Fellow at the age of 37, one of the youngest worldwide in the Class of 2016. News by CUHK and Northwestern.
- (New) Huang serves as an Editor of IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking.
- (New) Three papers accepted by IEEE INFOCOM 2017. Congratulations to Ming, Meng, Michael, Lin and Fen!
- (New) Huang is elected as Chair of IEEE Communications Society Technical Committee on Cognitive Networks (TCCN) for the term of 12/2016 - 12/2018.
- (New) Huang serves as the General Co-Chair of IEEE WiOpt 2018 in Shanghai.
- (New) Huang serves as the TPC Co-Chair of IEEE GLOBECOM 2017 Cognitive Radio and Networks Symposium in Singapore. Submission deadline April 2017.
- (New) Huang serves as the TPC Co-Chair of IEEE WiOpt 2017 in Paris. Submission deadline December 15, 2016.
- (New) Huang serves as the TPC Co-Chair of IEEE INFOCOM Smart Data Pricing Workshop 2017 in Atlanta.
- (New) Huang serves as the Area Chair (Wireless Networks and Applications) for International Teletraffic Congress 2017 in Genoa.
- Huang serves on the inaugural IEEE ComSoc Best Young Professional Award Committee 2016.
- Our research on TV white space economics is featured on CUHK homepage (Chinese version here).
- Huang delivers three IEEE ComSoc Distinguished Lectures in Tsukuba, Hakodate, and Osaka in July 2016.
- Our INFOCOM 2016 paper "Economics of Public Wi-Fi Monetization and Advertising" is a Best Paper Award finalist and is selected for fast track publication in IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (a total of 5 out of 300 accepted papers in INFOCOM 2016).
- Huang co-edits the special issue on "Game Theory for Networks" of IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications.
- The paper "Secondary Spectrum Trading with Spatial Reuse in Spot and Futures Markets" with Lin Gao, Biying Shou, and Ying-Ju Chen has been accepted by the top business journal Operations Research.
- Huang co-chairs 2016 IEEE Smart Data Pricing Workshop in IEEE INFOCOM 2016.
- Huang receives the 2014 CUHK Young Researcher Award.
- Huang serves as the Workshop Co-Chair of IEEE WiOpt 2016.
- Huang delivers a three-hour tutorial (together with Leandros Tassiulas from Yale University) on "User-Provided Networks" in IEEE GLOBECOM 2015.
- Huang delivers a three-hour tutorial (together with Yuan Luo and Lin Gao from CUHK) on "Economics of TV White Space" in IEEE ICCC 2015.
- Huang delivers three IEEE ComSoc Distinguished Lectures in Barcelona (CTTC), London (Imperial College), and Cambridge (University of Cambridge) in June 2015.
- The paper "A Game-Theoretic Analysis of User Behaviors in Crowdsourced Wireless Community Networks" with Qian Ma, Lin Gao, and Yafeng Liu receives the IEEE WiOpt 2015 Best Student Paper Award.
- Huang receives the 2015 IEEE ComSoc Multimedia Communications Technical Committee Distinguished Service Award.
- Huang serves as a founding editor of IEEE Transactions on Cogitive Communications and Networking since 2015.
- Huang serves as an IEEE Communications Society Distinguished Lecturer during 2015-2016.
- Huang co-edits the special issue of "Big Data Analytics of Grid Modernization" of IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid.
- Huang co-edits the special issue of "Smart Data Pricing" of IEEE Network.