Director, Network Communications and Economics Labs (NCEL)
Director, Master of Science Program (Program Newsletters in English and Chinese)
Department of Information Engineering, Faculty of Engineering
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
IEEE Communications Society Distinguished Lecturer
Thomson Reuters Highly Cited Researcher in Computer Science (Google Scholar, ResearcherID)
Chair, IEEE Communications Society Technical Committee on Cognitive Networks (TCCN)
Chair, IEEE Communications Society Asia Pacific Board Technical Affairs Committe
Editor, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking
Editor, IEEE Transactions on Network Science and Engineering
Editor, IEEE Transactions on Cogitive Communications and Networking
Email: jwhuang [at] ie dot cuhk dot edu dot hk
Office: Ho Sin-Hang Engineering Building Room 718, CUHK (Directions)
- NCEL is a world-leading research group on the economic and game theoretical analysis and design of modern networking systems (overview slides). We always welcome motivated young people to apply for PhD and Postdoc Researcher positions.
- NCEL members won Best Paper Awards from IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, WiOpt, SmartGridComm, GLOBECOM, WiCon, and APCC.
- NCEL research on TV white space economics received press release from CUHK (here and here) and news agencies (such as Wenweipo, Oriental Daily, Phonix, Sohu, Sina, China Daily, ComputerWorld, and Sing Tao Daily).
- NCEL research on Wi-Fi Economics received press release from CUHK and news agences (such as Apple Daily, Computer World, Sing Tao Daily, Ta Kung Pao, Telecom Asia, Wen Wei Po, and Xinhua News Agency).
- Seven NCEL alumni became faculty members in leading Asian universities, including Harbin Institute of Technology (Shenzhen), ShanghaiTech University, Singapore University of Technology and Design, South China University of Technology, Sun Yat-Sen University, Tsinghua University, and University of Macau.
- We provide the Hong Kong solar and wind energy generation data to the research community.
- My books (click images for details).
- My half-day tutorials (click images for details). The tutorial on "How Do We Play Games" has been translated into Chinese by NetEase Open Course.
- Professor, Department of Information Engineering, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2017 -
- Associate Professor, Department of Information Engineering, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2013 - 2017
- Assistant Professor, Department of Information Engineering, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2007 - 2013
- Postdoc Research Associate, Department of Electrical Engineering, Princeton University, 2005 - 2007
- Ph.D., Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Northwestern University, 2005
- Master, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Northwestern University, 2003
- Bachelor, Department of Radio Engineering, Southeast University, 2000
- IEEE Fellow, 2016
- Thomson Reuters Highly Cited Researcher in Computer Science, 2016
- IEEE Communications Society Distinguished Lecturer, 2015-2018
- Shanghai Thousand Talents Expert Award (Short-Term), 2015 – 2018
- CUHK Young Researcher Award, 2014
- IEEE Marconi Prize Paper Award in Wireless Communications, 2011
- IEEE INFOCOM Best Paper Award Finalist, 2016
- IEEE WiOpt Best Student Paper Award, 2015
- IEEE WiOPT Best Paper Award, 2014 (CUHK Press Release in Engish and Chinese)
- IEEE WiOPT Best Paper Award, 2013 (coverage in the IEEE Communications Technology News)
- IEEE SmartGridComm Best Paper Award, 2012
- Wireless Internet Conference Best Paper Award, 2011
- IEEE GLOBECOM Best Paper Award, 2010
- Asia-Pacific Conference on Communication Best Paper Award, 2009
- IEEE ComSoc Asia-Pacific Outstanding Young Researcher Award, 2009
- Best Readings of Economics of Cognitive Radio Networks
- ESI Highly Cited Papers
- (New) [2017-04] Huang is promoted to Full Professor, effective August 2017.
- (New) [2017-04] NCEL research on Wi-Fi Economics received media coverage.
- (New) [2017-03] NCEL Spring 2017 Workshop will be held on April 6, 2017.
- (New) [2017-03] Huang serves as an Editor of IEEE Transactions on Network Science and Engineering.
- (New) [2017-02] Huang serves as an Area Editor for Springer Encyclopedia of Wireless Networks - Area on Network Economics and pricing.
- (New) [2017-01] Huang serves as an Area TPC Chair of IEEE INFOCOM 2018 in Honolulu.
- (New) [2017-01] Huang has been selected again as IEEE Communications Society Distinguished Lecturer during 2017-2018.
- (New) [2017-01] Huang will give a half-day tutorial on "Economics of Database-Assisted Spectrum Sharing" with Lin and Yuan in DySPAN 2017.
- (New) [2017-01] Huang will give a half-day tutorial on "Fog Computing and Networking: A New Paradigm for 5G and IoT Applications" with Tao, Tony, Ai-Chun, and Yang in IEEE ICC 2017.
- [2016-12] Huang serves as an Editor of IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking.
- [2016-12] Huang is elected as Chair of IEEE Communications Society Technical Committee on Cognitive Networks (TCCN) for the term of 12/2016 - 12/2018.
- [2016-10] Huang is selected as a Thomson Reuters Highly Cited Researcher (HCR) in Computer Science in 2016. There are 127 HCRs in Computer Science worldwide in 2016, including 3 from Hong Kong.
- [2016-10] Huang serves as the General Co-Chair of IEEE WiOpt 2018 in Shanghai.
- [2016-10] Huang serves as the TPC Co-Chair of IEEE GLOBECOM 2017 Cognitive Radio and Networks Symposium in Singapore. Submission deadline April 2017.
- [2016-10] Huang serves as the TPC Co-Chair of IEEE WiOpt 2017 in Paris. Submission deadline December 15, 2016.
- [2016-10] Huang serves as the TPC Co-Chair of IEEE INFOCOM Smart Data Pricing Workshop 2017 in Atlanta.
- [2016-08] Huang serves as the Area Chair (Wireless Networks and Applications) for International Teletraffic Congress 2017 in Genoa.
- [2016-08] Huang serves on the inaugural IEEE ComSoc Best Young Professional Award Committee 2016.
- [2016-07] Our research on TV white space economics is featured on CUHK homepage (Chinese version here).
- [2016-07] Huang delivers three IEEE ComSoc Distinguished Lectures in Tsukuba, Hakodate, and Osaka.
- [2016-06] Our INFOCOM 2016 paper "Economics of Public Wi-Fi Monetization and Advertising" is a Best Paper Award finalist and is selected for fast track publication in IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (a total of 5 out of 300 accepted papers in INFOCOM 2016).
- [2016-06] Huang co-edits the special issue on "Game Theory for Networks" of IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications.
- [2016-06] The paper "Secondary Spectrum Trading with Spatial Reuse in Spot and Futures Markets" with Lin Gao, Biying Shou, and Ying-Ju Chen has been accepted by Operations Research.
- [2016-05] Huang co-chairs 2016 IEEE Smart Data Pricing Workshop in IEEE INFOCOM 2016.
- [2016-02] Huang serves as a Section Editor for Springer Handbook of Cognitive Radio - Section on Cognitive Radio Resource Management.
- [2015-12] Huang receives the 2014 CUHK Young Researcher Award.
- [2015-12] Huang serves as the Workshop Co-Chair of IEEE WiOpt 2016.
- [2015-12] Huang delivers a three-hour tutorial (together with Leandros Tassiulas from Yale University) on "User-Provided Networks" in IEEE GLOBECOM 2015.
- [2015-11] Huang is elevated to IEEE Fellow at the age of 37, one of the youngest worldwide in the Class of 2016. News by CUHK and Northwestern.
- [2015-11] Huang delivers a three-hour tutorial (together with Yuan Luo and Lin Gao from CUHK) on "Economics of TV White Space" in IEEE ICCC 2015.
- [2015-06] Huang delivers three IEEE ComSoc Distinguished Lectures in Barcelona (CTTC), London (Imperial College), and Cambridge (University of Cambridge) in June 2015.
- [2015-06] The paper "A Game-Theoretic Analysis of User Behaviors in Crowdsourced Wireless Community Networks" with Qian Ma, Lin Gao, and Yafeng Liu receives the IEEE WiOpt 2015 Best Student Paper Award.
- [2015-06] Huang receives the 2015 IEEE ComSoc Multimedia Communications Technical Committee Distinguished Service Award.
- [2014-12] Huang serves as a founding editor of IEEE Transactions on Cogitive Communications and Networking since 2015.